[ RadSafe ] Re: Big Brother the spectroscopist

Dimiter Popoff didi at tgi-sci.com
Thu Mar 31 22:24:16 CEST 2005

 J. Marshall Reber,

thanks for the feedback!

 It eliminates the possibility that the problem is because Googles replies
are filtered here locally (would not be very surprising to anyone of us I
guess but well, things appear to be much worse).

 The site is located on a US located server and I am really happy
with the way things work.

 There is not much I can do about the text google does not want to
locate (at all); it does locate the same text exclusively in the
wrong places ...

Here is the log of last request of the googlebot to my site (the right place):

66.249.71.67 - - [10/Mar/2005:09:39:03 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0"
   304 - "-" "Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.google.com/bot.html)"

The reply code 304 indicates that google has requested a conditional
GET, i.e. if-modified-since because it has had a version of the page, and
the file being unmodified resulted in just sending the (very short) header.

And here is the transaction which a customer did after google had found
me allright:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx - - [08/Mar/2005:10:05:17 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.1"
  200 3887 "http://www.google.fi/search?q=dsp+mca+hpge&hl=fi&lr=&start=10&sa=N"
  "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1 xxx...

(I have hidden some of the purely customer identity related data in the
above entry).

 Which demonstrates that Google stopped locating me after this (there is
more than that visible in the logs but I am not sure the connection,
however obvious, can be proven so I am not posting it).

 It appears it is Biggest Brother or some close relative or friend of his
after all.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com