[ RadSafe ] Results from ? Determining Radon

cobdw at tds.net cobdw at tds.net
Mon May 2 05:08:22 CEST 2005

Dear Rad-safers,
	I would like to say thank you for all of the responses that I received in regards to my question dated 4/24/05 titled Determining Radon.  The premise of the question was to ascertain the current practices in the field for releasing personnel from Posted Radiological Control Areas in regards to detecting or suspecting the probable contaminant was Radon progeny.   I received a total 18 responses and I would like to share with all of you how they panned out.  I have broken them down into 7 different areas.
	The first area as you can imagine consist of those responses which have no value of which there were three.  The second grouping consisted of six responses which were waiting to decay and re-monitor.   The third group was decon methods and re-monitor; total five.  Fourth group of instrumentation recommendations tallied in at seven.  Three responses in the fifth group recommended using a ratio of alpha counts to beta counts.  Keeping records in the sixth group yielded three responses and finally the seventh group stating properties of decay and ratios to use yielded two responses.
	Of course, if you tally up all the responses you get more than 18 and the reason for this is that many of the responders volunteered information in more than one category.
	Based on the information that I have received, I am comfortable with the proposed methodology that I have developed at my site in dealing with probable radon contamination alarms.  This method consist of using a 1:2 ratio of alpha to beta counts, determination of the area and material that is alarming i.e. (plastic hard hat, plastic reflective tape on safety vest, polyester clothing, soles of shoes in wet weather) easily removed with maslin, stretch and dust, picochee cloth, or static guard spray, re-monitor and release, otherwise, hold, decay, then re-monitor.  If all of this fails then declare an actual contamination event and follow the applicable procedures.  Of course, we will document all of this and keep records accordingly.
	I have also found out that an AP-2 is available within our organization if the alarms on the PCM-2 become to numerous or regular to deal with any other way.
	Again, thank you to all of you who had value added information to provide.
Sincerely,
Douglas Coble
BST in Nuclear Technology
RRPT