[ RadSafe ] Salsman RE: Gardner Sellafield cluster

Ivor Surveyor isurveyor at vianet.net.au
Wed May 4 12:31:32 CEST 2005

At 05:39 PM 4/05/2005, you wrote:
>I am convinced of the status of Martin J. Gardner's evidence for
>a cluster of inherited childhood leukemia and lymphoma around the
>Sellafield nuclear plant (British Medical Journal, vol. 300, no.
>6722 (1990) pp. 423.)  I was told months ago that the evidence was
>questionable, without reference to anything more than a 1994
>unreviewed editorial critique in a trade publication from the
>nuclear power industry.  Then a few days later someone told me
>that Gardner's hypothesis had been explicitly confirmed by
>Heather Dickinson and Louise Parker ("Leukaemia and Non-Hodgkin's
>Lymphoma in Children of Male Sellafield Radiation Workers,"
>International Journal of Cancer, vol. 99 (2002) pp. 437-444.)

You can do much better then a trade paper.  I suggest you start with an
editorial by Sir Richard Doll in British J Cancer 1999; 81:3-5.

This paper will give you a number of references to papers by Professor Leo
Kinlen and also the DIckinson H and Parker work which in fact is (or should
be) the end of the Gardner hypothesis.

You might also look at a commentary in Nature.
Doll R, Evans HJ and Darby SC. Nature, 1994; 367 : 678-680.

Believe you me there is a very large literature on this topic. Which is
based on sound science. Therefore it is not easily dismissed.
regards,

Ivor Surveyor
Emeritus Consultant Physician, Nuclear Medicine.

email:  isurveyor at vianet.net.au