AW: [ RadSafe ] Saint Kitts and Nevis ratifies ComprehensiveNuclear-Test-Ban Treaty

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu May 5 22:49:33 CEST 2005

Gerry,

This is second post I have to criticize, this time even heavier than I
did in the previous case.

I may mention that I have been working in Working Group B of the CTBTO
since many years voluntarily (I am not paid for it), have undergone two
training courses as an On-Site Inspector. So I dare say, that I have a
good insight on that organisation and on the CTBT.

I do not at all agree, that you ridicule the Comprehensive Nuclear
Test-Ban Treaty. This attitude is totally inappropriate and even more
unfounded. If you look at the original CTBTO website
(http://www.ctbto.org) you would find countries like Andorra, the Holy
See or Luxemburg which have not only signed it, but also ratified it.
Austria was even "one of the 33" in Annex 2 and has of course signed and
ratified it.

This treaty is a treaty for the members of the United Nations, of which
Andorra, Bahamas, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Vanuatu, Luxemburg, are members
as well as the USA, GB, China or France. The United Nations have not
been formed to follow the orders of any "superpower" or as your Mr.
Bolton openly declared to do what the USA demands and is good for their
politics. All members of the UNO are addressed in the CTBT.

Though it is very unlikely that the Holy See or Andorra would allow any
nuclear tests on their territory - why should Saint Kitts and Nevis
theoretically not allow that on their territory? Therefore their
ratifying is welcome and it is another sign for the increasing number of
states signing and ratifying. It is also a good sign that the few states
which still refuse partially even signing, but especially ratifying
should become more and more isolated. Do I need to emphasize that the
USA is of the biggest concern?

The CTBT as well as the UNO is a question of diplomacy. There are other
rules there which govern mutual contacts than on a battle-field or in an
illegal war. And hopefully they can serve for more peace in this world.

Before ridiculing something in the context of the UNO or the CTBT from
the standpoint of the "big nuclear superpower" you better read and study
carefully the documents available on the internet.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
AUSTRIA
phone -43-0699-1168-1319

ComprehensiveNuclear-
> Test-Ban Treaty
>
> WOW! Kiits the nuclear power house signed the treaty.........Talk
about
> waste of time.......
>
> Saint Kitts and Nevis ratifies Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban
> TreatyVienna, 3 May 2005: Saint Kitts and Nevis has deposited its
> instrument of ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban
Treaty
> (CTBT) with the United Nations Secretary-General on 27 April 2005,
> bringing the total number of ratifications to 121. The number of
ratifying
> States in the Latin America and the Caribbean geographical region now
> stands at 21.
>
> The CTBT bans all nuclear weapons test explosions. Drafted at the
> Conference on Disarmament in Geneva, and adopted by the General
Assembly
> on 10 September 1996, the Treaty was opened for signature on 24
September
> 1996 at the Untied Nations headquarters in New York.
>
> To enter into force, the CTBT must be singed and ratified by the 44
States
> listed in Annex 2 to the Treaty. These States formally participated in
the
> work of the 1996 session of the Conference on Disarmament and
possessed
> nuclear power or research reactors at that time. To date, 33 of the
Annex