[ RadSafe ] Salsman, serious doubt on qualification of RADSAFErs

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sun May 8 00:57:23 CEST 2005

RADSAFErs,

I have read with much discomfort since a few weeks the Salsman
contributions. I have reacted partially quite harsh, but the result of my
direct confrontation was zero. This person, who’s profession  is
distributing some software over his „bovik“  address not at all related to
radiation protection has not any education on the topics he discusses on
this list.

Is there really nobody on this list who will tell this subject, that Uranium
Trioxide is a solid compound, which on heating will be transformed into
U3O8? Is there nobody – except me, who is really no outstanding expert on
uranium compounds – who puts down his claims on solubility, dispersion (I
never read something similarily ridiculous as he claimes’!!!!) and
especially what he claims on effects for soldiers. I recognized a few
negative contributions of RADSAFErs, but I think that this person should be
eliminated from the list or at least boycotted, because he does not provide
anything worth for this list. Just at the contrary, he cites papers as a
confirmation of his absurd comments, which clearly state a totally different
result. I think that the few negative comments are well taken, but they lack
the final approach to expose this person as a ridiculous and totally
uneducated subject.

Additionally I want to emphasize that exposure to DU is just a small part of
the risks that US citizens and mercenaries participating in the Iraq war
face. They are paid for it, as well as fire-fiighters are paid for their
missions where they risk their lives. Without talking about the question of
entitlement of this war I think that anything like the Salsman reasoning is
just ridiculous.

Flaming a European participant of RADSAFE who questions US policy seems to
be much easier than attacking somebody like Salsman.  Is this really based
on cultural reasons or is this due to a lack of qualification on the
participants?

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7