[ RadSafe ] RE: hormesis mechanism of action

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Mon May 9 02:02:29 CEST 2005

Then you haven't read much of the hormesis biology literature.  But of course
"hormesis" is the normal biological response to critical stressors required
for good biological functions (inlcuding e.g., heat and exercise, and normal
oxidative metabolism).  If you have good health (including exercise) and
nutrition, additional stimulation may not be of great consequence - like
taking vitamin and mineral supplements, essential if you aren't getting them,
of limited use if you are getting them through normal diet.

LDR (as with other hormetins) does stimulate SOD, Gpx, etc., but a great deal
more. In one case, medical research was claiin success in stimulating p53 in
the brain by about 30%, while LDR stimulates p53 in the brain by something
like a factor of 3 to 5.  These results have dramatic effects in many cases.

For some immunological studies at Norman Bethune University (now part of
Jilin Univ.), see, e.g., a presentation by Dr. Liu at:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/LiuAmherst2002ppt_files/v3_document.htm
and http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/LiuANS_Nov2002.htm

See also:  http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/Liu_Munich_2000.htm

and abstracts from 85 refs from work at Dr. Liu's lab between 1995 and 2000
at:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/shuzheng_liu_et_al_abstracts.htm

For some more examples of the general in vivo biology literature see Section
3.0, esp under 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 at:
http://cnts.wpi.edu:9000/rsh/dd3/_database.jsp

Section 3.3 includes more on mechanisms (not health effects) from the in
vitro research.  There are very many more general treatments of the subject,
from evolutionary biology to biophysics.

We can also be certain that DNA damage from LDR has nothing to do with health
effects (or even HDR that DOES cause latent cancer and other health effects)
simply because it is thousands of times less than normal DNA damage rates
from osidative metabolism for DSBs and millions of times less than for SSBs,
even without the proven enhancement of biological functions, and healing,
from LDR.  See, e.g., the 4th item down under "Science Papers" by Ludwig
Feinendegen and myron Pollycove at:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/index_science.html

You can find many more examples of the science literature and general article
sources at:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/

As a footnote, I would have to disagree with Jerry Cohen in stating that
cadmium, lead and mercury do not indicate hormetic effects.

Jerry,  We have distributed a number such papers over the last few years on
the RSH mailing list.  Ed Calabrese's work on hormesis data and toxicology
has documented such results.  Unfortunately, not all of these sources are in
the database (yet). :-)  But you can review the database and just do a search
on pubMed for "homesis" and "metal"  or with the individual metals.  This is
a limited effect since, as Ed has documented extensively, the term hormesis
and non-linear dose-response results are often not reported eeven when they
exist.  You can review Ed's papers for relevant documentation!

Regards, Jim Muckerheide