[ RadSafe ] Re: hormesis mechanism of action

jjcohen jjcohen at prodigy.net
Mon May 9 23:41:17 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: James Salsman <james at bovik.org>
To: jjcohen <jjcohen at prodigy.net>; <hflong at pacbell.net>
Cc: <jimm at wpi.edu>; <radsafe at radlab.nl>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 12:55 PM
Subject: hormesis mechanism of action

> Jerry Cohen wrote:
>
>  > Hormesis can be considered a general rule in nature, but not
>  > a universal rule  since there are exceptions. For example,
>  > 3 heavy metals that show no evidence of hormesis are lead,
>  > cadmium, and mercury.
>
> So, for which heavy metals is there evidence for hormesis, and
> where is it documented?

James,
    For starters, I would cite those  toxic metals that are considered vital nutrients at relatively low dose levels including: Selenium,Copper, Zinc, Arsenic, Iron, and Chromium. I think you can buy these supplements at your local pharmacy. Incidentally, in other replies I received information indicating there very well could be hormesis  with Pb, Cd, & Hg also. I am sending you a more comprehensive review in a separate note.  Jerry Cohen