[ RadSafe ] Overcoming America's nuclear power phobia

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 15:03:28 CEST 2005

To me, the real test is what happens with a company
proposes to build a new nuclear power plant in the
U.S.  The hypothesis that radiophobia is the problem
to the development of new power plants is speculative.
 I think that this is an economic issue, which can be
fixed by giving tax incentives to the power companies.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44194

> Tuesday, May 10, 2005
>

> ________________________________
>
> Overcoming America's nuclear power phobia
>
> ________________________________

> 1:00 a.m. Eastern
>

> . . .

> To his credit, President Bush has been trying to put
> U.S. nuclear energy
> policy on a more rational footing, proposing
> regulatory changes and insurance
> proposals for companies that take on the economic
> risks of building new
> nuclear plants in a political atmosphere still ruled
> by anti-nuclear
> hysteria.
>
> In his recent energy speech, President Bush even
> held up the example of
> France as one, in this respect at least, our nation
> should emulate. When the
> oil price shocks of the 1970s hit, the French
> government decided that it
> could no longer afford to leave its economy
> vulnerable to vagaries of Middle
> East politics. While our nation continued to dig
> itself deeper into that
> particular hole, France built some 50 new nuclear
> power plants. Today, that
> France's nuclear reactors provide 80 percent of that
> country's energy needs.
>
> An analogous investment in nuclear power in the
> United States would
> essentially free us from the tyranny of having
> foreign dictators play havoc
> with the price of energy - and with our economy. As
> Franklin Roosevelt said
> in another context, the only thing we have to fear
> is fear itself.
>
> ________________________________
>
> Josh Gilder is a Visiting Fellow at the Lexington
> Institute

> You are currently subscribed to the radsafe mailing
> list
> radsafe at radlab.nl
>
> Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have
> read and understood the RadSafe rules. These can be
> found at: http://radlab.nl/radsafe/radsaferules.html

=== message truncated ===

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com