[ RadSafe ] Overcoming America's nuclear power phobia

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 14:48:32 CEST 2005

According to this site,
http://www.energy.ca.gov/nuclear/california.html

"The 913 MW Pressurized Water Reactor at the Rancho
Seco Nuclear Power Plant, located about 25 miles south
of Sacramento, is owned by the Sacramento Municipal
Utility District in and was operation from April 1975
to June 7, 1989. It was closed by public referendum."

Of course, there are no economic indicators in this
information.  Is it possible the company, the SMUD,
did not intend to fight the referendum, and was going
to "pull the plug" anyway?

Anyone know more about this issue?

--- BLHamrick at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/11/2005 8:50:35 A.M. Pacific
> Standard Time,
> crispy_bird at yahoo.com writes:
>
> Do you  think that a utility would not build any
> plant
> because of anti-nuclear  protest?
>

> My recollection could be wrong, but I believe this
> is precisely why the
> Rancho Seco plant near Sacramento was never fully
> operational.  I believe  it was
> fueled and went through low-power testing, but the
> anti-nuclear  contingency
> in California prevented its full operation.
>
> I would not underestimate the political power of
> those opposed to nuclear
> power generation, and by extension all things
> radioactive.
>
> Barbara

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com