[ RadSafe ] radium source questions

JGinniver at aol.com JGinniver at aol.com
Fri May 13 00:51:23 CEST 2005

I have some radium sources that I need to dispose of.  To do this I  need to
provide the disposal facility with some additional information.
unfortunately these sources date back to the 1950s and 60s and there is little
information to hand.

Does anyone have any information on the likely Beryllium content of
Radium/beryllium neutron sources?

Does anyone know if the likely chemical form of radium sources (gamma
sources) from this period?

Based on the chemical forms given above, is the radium likely to adversely
react if exposed to water or alkaline grout?

If you have any information that will help with the above questions could
you provide the references any literature that could help.

Previously on Radsafe someone posted the URL of a US based site where it  was
possible to obtain details of the source design if you knew the manufacturer
and the reference used for the type of the source.  Unfortunately, despite
having searched the archives, I can find the address.  If someone has it  could
they post it to me.  Does anyone know if this resource is still  'publicly'
available or has it been lost due to concerns about 'dirty  bombs'.  If it is
no longer publicly available could someone provide the  details so that I can
make a formal request through my employer for possible  information on the
sources we have for disposal.

Regards,
    Julian