[ RadSafe ] Overcoming America's nuclear power phobia

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Fri May 13 02:01:36 CEST 2005

John, I disagree with you and I support Luan.

If anti-nucs are shown to harm others by depriving them of radiation and its benefit to longevity and prevention of cancer, we take the high ground those anti-nucs now claim.

I believe that hormesis should be the salvation of the nuclear power industry and thus of the entire USA economy.

Howard Long

John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
If you are really interested in promoting nuclear
power and uses of ionizing radiaton, maybe you should
be focusing on the fact that no demonstrated harm has
been shown. This is the stand that has been taken by
many professional societies and organizations.

http://hps.org/documents/radiationrisk.pdf

There is certainly less controversy and a ready
audience in the these societies. It sounds like an
easier battle to win.

--- yuan-chi luan wrote:

---------------------------------

If the international radiation scientists and
communiies would like to prove the chronic radaition
experienced in Taiwan (with dose-rate <1 mSv/hr) and
tell the world that the chronic radaition received by
people is always beneficial to them, there will be no
nuclear power phobia to nuclear workers and pulbic. If
they know that health effcts of chronic radiation
could reduce their cancer mortality as I described in
the 1999 ANS annual meeting in Boston, they would
eagerly to recieve more chronic radaition from the
nuclear power plants and associated radioactive
wastes. But I am terrible sorry that many policician
for the some kind election are just in sitting on
ground in front of the Legislative yuan(similar to US
senate ) for demonstration and creating the phobia of
nuclear power plants to the population in Taiwan. and
this is why I am so old but still want to go to the
international conferences in USA and Canada, for
presentation of what I kown about the beneficial
effects of chronic radation. Once when the experience
of radiation in Taiwan could be internationally
accipted. The nuclear power phobia produed by the
politicioan in Taiwan might be forgetten, and Taiwan
might give up its non-nuclear land policy and turn to
be like a country of Japan to develope its own energy
sources .

Y.C. Luan

. . .