Clarification : [ RadSafe ] radium source questions

Robert Atkinson robert.atkinson at genetix.com
Sat May 14 15:53:34 CEST 2005

Hi Julian,
One aspect of the OSR program that may be of use is the LANL Special
Form Capsule that they developed to deal with this problem, quote below,

"Due to their age, a lack of available manufacturer data and unknown
origin, or the potential for leakage, some of the radioactive sealed
sources targeted for recovery by the OSR Project do not meet US
Department of Transportation (US DOT) Type A requirements. Sealed
sources that are special form can be shipped using US DOT Type A, 7A
packages, which provide increased flexibility in shipping. The OSR
Project has developed a sealed source overpack called the LANL Special
Form Capsule (SFC) Model 1 to provide a method to ensure US DOT special
form containment of radioactive sealed sources during transport. Sealed
sources which do not have current special form certification or
documentation for domestic transport can be made special form by field
encapsulation in a LANL SFC"

See < http://osrp.lanl.gov/special_form_capsules.shtml > and
<
http://osrp.lanl.gov/Documents/LAURS_Documents%20Page/LAUR-02-433%20(SFC
%20Model%201).pdf >

Use of the SFC (there are detailed drawings in the PDF link above) would
at least allow you to qualify them as sealed sources to current
standards.

Radium seems to be a particular problem; no one seems to want to dispose
of it. I have an interest in Ra226 luminised instruments (mainly from
aircraft). There are exceptions for clocks and watches (I'm also in the
UK) but nothing for the instruments. These are readily available at air
shows, curio shops and on-line auction sites. The sellers either don't
know or don't want to know about the hazards associated with these
items.
A typical small (2.5" pressure gauge 1944) instrument reads 39.2uSv/hr
on contact (actually about 25mm source to detector centre) and 7.5uSv/hr
at 100mm. A larger 4" instrument (airspeed indicator) reads 112uSv/hr
contact and 25uSv/hr at 100mm. All readings were taken with a Canberra
ADM-300A (with current calibration) and background (0.2uSv) subtracted.
Both these gauges were for sale at small Aero-jumble. The measurement
geometry is not ideal as the instruments are effectively an array of
small sources. This is a significant amount of radiation. I would be
interested to know if there is any way of relating this to an activity.
The instruments are not totally sealed so it's uncertain that the
progeny are in equilibrium. If you keep an instrument in a plastic bag
for a few days progeny are easily detected on the bags inner surface.
A freeware calculator (RadPro 1.8) has a dose rate to activity
conversion but this gives a figure of 75MBq (2mCi) for the small
instrument and 250MBq (6.7mCi) for the larger one. I find these figures
hard to believe.

Regards,
Robert Atkinson, Non HP professional UK.