[ RadSafe ] Residential radon risk

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Tue May 24 14:52:43 CEST 2005

Jerry asked: "Given the apparent negative correlation between smoking and
radon levels, I wonder
whether it is low radon levels that cause people to smoke, or does smoking
somehow
cause lower radon levels? "

I think it is likely that smoking causes lower radon levels, because smokers
would open a window to let some fresh air in.

We have to remember that residential radon levels are, in part, determined
by the residents' lifestyle. So, one could also expect that being sick
increases radon levels. (Sick people might not lead as active lives and
doors will stay closed.)

Since residential radon levels are related to ventilation, one would also
expect that they correlate positively with mould and other indoor
pollutants.

In the ecological studies, these factors probably largely cancel out and the
average county radon levels are more related to the radon source term. Case
control studies would be very susceptible to the influence of these other
factors, unless these are specifically controlled.

Kai