[ RadSafe ] A Question on the Appropriate Number of Soil Samples to Collect as a Function of Land Area

Falo, Gerald A Dr KADIX Jerry.Falo at us.army.mil
Tue May 24 22:08:24 CEST 2005

All,

While reviewing a document, I came across a table that lists "
Appropriate Number of Soil Samples to Collect" as a function of the land
area. The table also includes a column with an estimated coefficient of
variation (CV). For example, for a 7 acre (28000 square meters), it says
to collect 7 samples, which would result in an estimated CV of 15%. I've
been told that the values in the table come from an EPA document. To my
dismay, I've not been able to verify this. I understand that statistical
methods exist to determine the number of samples required. I'd like to
see how the table was derived because to use the table I'd like to feel
comfortable in understanding where it came from.

If anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

Jerry Falo

________________________________

The statements and opinions expressed herein are my responsibility; no
one else (certainly not my employer) is responsible, but I still reserve
the right to make mistakes.

Don't panic! - Douglas Adams in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Gerald A. Falo, Ph.D., CHP
Kadix Systems
U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine - Health
Physics Program
jerry.falo at us.army.mil
410-436-4852