[ RadSafe ] A Question on the Appropriate Number of Soil Samples to Collect as a Function of Land Ar

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Tue May 24 22:35:43 CEST 2005

Gerald *

Without going to the trouble of double-checking the math, I would venture that the document in question is the Multi-Agency Radiation Survey & Site Investigation Manual (MARSSIM), NUREG-1571, Rev. 1, EPA 402-R-97-016, Rev. 1, DOE/EH-0624, Rev. 1. DOD is also one of the "multi-agency" agencies, but to my knowledge, they did not publish MARSSIM under one of their document numbers.

See http://www.epa.gov/radiation/marssim/ for more info that you're likely to want on this subject, including a downloadable version of the MARSSIM manual.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4220 International Parkway, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675
Fax: (404) 362-2653
E-mail: Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Falo, Gerald A Dr KADIX" <Jerry.Falo at us.army.mil> 5/24/2005 16:08:24 >>>

All,

While reviewing a document, I came across a table that lists "
Appropriate Number of Soil Samples to Collect" as a function of the land
area. The table also includes a column with an estimated coefficient of
variation (CV). For example, for a 7 acre (28000 square meters), it says
to collect 7 samples, which would result in an estimated CV of 15%. I've
been told that the values in the table come from an EPA document. To my
dismay, I've not been able to verify this. I understand that statistical
methods exist to determine the number of samples required. I'd like to
see how the table was derived because to use the table I'd like to feel
comfortable in understanding where it came from.

If anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

Jerry Falo

________________________________

The statements and opinions expressed herein are my responsibility; no
one else (certainly not my employer) is responsible, but I still reserve
the right to make mistakes.

Don't panic! - Douglas Adams in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Gerald A. Falo, Ph.D., CHP
Kadix Systems
U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine - Health
Physics Program
jerry.falo at us.army.mil
410-436-4852