[ RadSafe ] Residential radon risk

Dukelow, James S Jr jim.dukelow at pnl.gov
Thu May 26 20:44:30 CEST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Syd H. Levine
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:46 AM
To: jjcohen; J. Marshall Reber; radsafe
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Residential radon risk

I deal with that Division quite a bit.  I suspect they are responsible
for
the 15 psi vacuum discussed here:
http://www.logwell.com/tech/uic/15psi_vacuum.html

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.
Phone:  270-276-5671
Telefax:  270-276-5588
E-mail:  analog at logwell.com

    <snip>

=================

Contrary to the assertions in Syd Levine's web page, the mean barometric
pressure at the surface of the Dead Sea is 800 mm Hg or approx. 15.45
psi, barometric pressures in Death Valley will be frequently be above 15
psi, and the record high barometric pressure at Salt Lake City (at an
altitude of 4500 ft) was 31.01 in. Hg in 1979 or approximately 15.23
psi.

I gather the EPA assertions have something to do with well annulus
pressures, which may be measured at some distance below the ground
surface with colder than STP air, measured on the suction side of a
submersible pump.  It is not clear to me that under those conditions a
15 psig vacuum is beyond the Pale.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow at pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.