[ RadSafe ] Re: Residential radon risk

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Fri May 27 18:01:42 CEST 2005

At 09:23 PM 5/19/2005, niton at mchsi.com wrote:
>Dr. Raabbe (sic), Just for the record, I offer a SINGLE post on this
>topic.  It appears no one
>else on the list will refute these baseless assertions (most likely for
>fear of being flamed).
***************************************
May 27, 2005

Dear Bill:

Thanks for the nice summary of your position. I appreciate a your scholarly
approach to this issue.

I base my opinion on controlled lifetime studies with beagles of internally
deposited radionuclides that irradiate various organs of the body including
the lung with alpha and beta radiation protracted in time. All these data
show an effective threshold for radiation induced carcinogensis that is
consistent with observations in uranium miners for radon. The dose-response
relationship for lifetime exposures is markedly non-linear!

Unlike the epidemiological radon studies you cite, the laboratory studies
involved careful dosimetry including routine external monitoring and
bioassay to accurately determine the radiation dose (Gy and Sv) over time
to each target tissue in each individual case.

None of the radon studies that you reference has any information about lung
or bronchial dose to anyone! Therefore, it is hard to reach definitive
conclusions with those data. Also, the influence of cigarette smoking and
exposure to cigarette smoke clouds all of the information in a complex
fashion. It is easy to show that lung cancer is significantly associated
with cigarette smoking, but it is hard show a separate association for
bronchial exposure to alpha radiation from radon and its decay products
since there are no definitive data.

As B. Cohen has shown, no matter how you slice it, lung cancer rates in the
U.S. tend to be lower where indoor radon levels tend to be higher. This is
a robust observation that can be hypothetically explained away as caused by
some complex confounding relationship, but what that relationship is, if it
exists, seems to be a mystery.

Best regards,

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)
University of California, Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140