[ RadSafe ] Re: Residential radon risk

Bernard Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Mon May 30 18:04:13 CEST 2005

niton at mchsi.com wrote:

>Dr. Cohen's inverse relationship is seen with smoking related cancers but not
>with non smoking related cancers.  Dr. Cohen interprets this as some hormetic
>effect; I interpret it as residual confounding from smoking.

        ---Why do you ignore my response to this sent to you on May 20 ?
If you find fault with it, you should say why. But why are you entitled
to simply ignore it and just repeat your argument? I repeat my May 20
response here::

I don't understand why some he ignores my response to its line of reasoning which was proposed by Puskin. I have shown in

 "The Puskin observation on smoking as a confounder in ecological correlations of cancer mortality rates with average county radon levels, Health Phys 86:203-204;2004. (This is posted as item #15 on my web site  www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc )

that there is no *possible* set of smoking data that would change the Puskin observation described above by Niton. Thus there can be no possible justification for his conclusion below that deficiencies in my data on smoking can explain my results.
	Furthermore, my papers go to great lengths to show that no remotely credible correlations between smoking prevalence and radon exposures can explain my data -- for a summary see Sec. 4.2 of item #7 on my web site www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc

	If there is something here you do not agree with, please specify.