Animal Carcass Disposal

A presentation on the "Disposal of Radioactive Animal Carcasses by
Alkaline Hydrolysis" was given at the Biomedical Mixed Waste Workshop in
Minneapolis, MN on November 4, 1993 by the developer Gordon I. Kaye, Ph.D.
of Albany Medical College, Albany, NY  12208.  The process uses a hot
aqueous sodium hydroxide solution to achieve weight/volume reduction of
97-98%.  If I recall correctly, the process still requires some work to
characterize its effectiveness on carcasses contaminated with
radioactivity.  The technology is very promising, but potential buyers who
seek to dispose of radioactive carcasses should closely examine the
process in light of applicable government regulations.

/s/	Glenn A. Carlson, P.E., Attorney
	St. Louis, MO
	314-647-8661