Re: Hologic QDR X-ray Bone Densitometer RAD Protection

    We have a Hologic bone densitometer here at Oregon State University.  I
    agree with all that has been stated concerning radiation levels
    associated with the machine.  Our surveys showed no operator or room
    shielding was needed.  I'm interested in the requirements for
    operators, i.e. is there a special permit category for bone
    densitometer operation or must the operator be certified to perform
    "whole body" radiography?

    In Oregon, we had to revise a statute (via the Legislature) to create a
    new Limited Permit category covering bone desitometry.  I'd be
    interested in how this situation has been dealt with in other states.

    Rainier Farmer
    Radiation Safety Officer
    Oregon State University
    farmerr@ccmail.orst.edu