RE: U in EM stain

>    I need to verify that the U concentration in the returned materials
>    is below the 0.05 % limit.  Assaying for the amount of U in the
>    materials is problematic, since the stained tissues are imbedded in the
>    plastic.

Could you do a mass balance?  As I recall, the concentration
of U in the stain is known, as is the volume applied to the
stain.  It shouldn't be too hard to get a mass of the
sample, then divide the mass of U (calculated) by mass of
plastic & stuff to get a percentage.

Not that I've tried this, though.  The NORM regs are still
sitting on my desk, waiting for me to peruse them....  B-(

Hope this helps.

John
      *John DeLaHunt, EH&S          *1125 Glen Avenue          *
      *The Colorado College         *Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
      *jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu    * VOX:  (719)389-6678      *
      *hazmat-owner@csn.org         * FAX:  (719)635-3177      *
      *************this message is hereby disclaimed************