Re: U Waste and N-gen

	Regarding the Richland facility in Washington State:  US Ecology's
license allows them to accept naturally occurring uranium if it is evenly
dispursed within the waste container, and if its concentration does not
exceed 10 nCi per gram.  In cases where either or both of these conditions
are not met, permission must be obtained from Washington State to use the
site for disposal.  Uranyl Nitrate is a problem, however, because of it's
status as an Oxidizer.  Because of this it is considered a mixed waste and
as such cannot be shipped to the US Ecology site.  Uranyl Acetate has not
been considered a mixed waste in the past, though it's acceptability at
Richland has been sporadic, but recently we received a letter from the
State Department of Ecology stating that both of these products are going
to be considered mixed wastes.  Unfortunately no reason for the change was
given and we're not sure why U-Acetate would fall into this category.  If
anyone out there has an answer to this question, or even a guess, I would
like to hear your opinion.

-Max deLaubenfels
-Radiation Safety,
-University of Washington, Seattle