Re: Low level waste post LLWPA

We haven't really been affected by the LLWPA. The majorty of our waste
disposal is done by DIS with incineration for animal carcasses, 3H and
14C. we are allowed to decay anthing with a T1/2 of <=180 days so that
takes care of a majority of our waste. We still incinerate after DIS to
deface any markings inside the packages. An alternative to that would be
to buy a waste chopper then dispose into the normal trash. We also have
had to start storing dog carcasses that contain radioactive microspheres
(141Ce, 103Ru, 95Nb, 51Cr). to that end we have purchased (or will
eventually) a total 20 25 cu. Ft chest freezers for DIS of the carcasses,
which we then incinerate. Trying to get space is like pulling teeth isn't

Pat Beyer
Medical College of Wisonsin
Office of Radiation Safety
Milwaukee