Radiation Safety System

Fido-To: paul rossi

In a message of <12 Apr 94  12:00:19>, Paul Rossi write:

 >I'm in the process of redesigning my current radiation system (to
 >limit personnel access to experimetnal vaults when a proton beam is
 >in the vault). I'm looking around for some ideas on systems that
 >others have used. If anyone has one or is familiar with a design I
 >would highly appreciate your input. Especially the part about "If I
 >had it to do all over again!"

Basically, I'm just chiming in to agree with Ted Del Castro: interlocks are the only way to go.  They should be tied into accelerator operations (power supply, steering magnets, beam stops, etc...) AND radiation monitors.  This way the beam can't be directed into the target area while the door is open, and opening the door cuts the beam.  Radiation monitors provide a redundant level: they cut the beam if there is a radiation field and the door has been opened (especially useful for target rooms next to other high radiation areas.

Note that interlocks should have arming cycles so that a step sequence in a set time period is required to ensure a visual sweep of the area.  The beam can only be directed after the interlock has been armed.  Breaking the circuit requires the entire sweep to be redone.

ANSI N43, NCRP 51, and the CRCPD Suggested State Regulations for accelerators are all undergoing revision and interlocks will be covered in all of them (I sure hope I got those references right...I keep forgetting which is which.  Please don't tell the chairs).

Wes
--- msged 1.99S ZTC
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Health Physics Liberation Front  (1:233/13.2)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)