Re: Experience with consolidating safety groups?

Re: consolidation -

     We have recently formally combined the Radiation Safety, Biosafety,
Occupational Safety and Environmental Health and Safety operations into one
"Environmental Health and Safety Office," although in practice these groups
have overlapped in personnel and responsibilities for some time.  We have
worked toward this for several years and see many clear advantages, and so
far have seen little negative impact.  First, we can present a single budget
to the administration that covers all university-wide safety issues.  Second,
we are more efficient, because we can combine operations.  For example, when
a lab is inspected for Rad. safety, it can also be inspected for our Chemical
Hygeine plan, for fire safety, etc., all at the same time.  Third,
individuals who need safety info. or services now have "one-stop shopping,",
i.e., they call a single office for all their safety needs, without wondering
who is responsible for what.  This also works well for State and Federal
agencies who now can contact a single office - many safety issues now cross
several regulatory lines.  Finally, by combining these operations at the
university level, we have gotten away from the parochial perceptions, for
example, that "Rad. safety is really just a Med. School issue" or "hearing
protection is only a Facilities concern," etc., and all of these issues are
now seen as university-wide concerns.  I'd be interested in whether others
see any down side to combining efforts, but I don't see any major drawbacks
yet.

Joshua Hamilton, Ph.D.
Chair, Dartmouth College RSC