GM Meter Calibrations

All of our GM Counter calibrations are done in house using a Cs137 source.
This necessitates many hours of holding probes in the "beam" and making small
adjustments in position to get the most optimal reading. Not only do the arms
and shoulders get tired but with some of the instruments, particularly those
with internal probes such as the SE International Monitor 4, it is difficult
to get an accurate view of the meter.

Does any one have any suggestions or recommendations for a better way to do
this procedure? I dread this time of year when I have to recalibrate 50-60
GM Meters for the insitution. Thanks in advance.

David A. De Haas, MT(ASCP)              All standard disclaimers
Environmental Health Officer                      apply.
The Jackson Laboratory
600 Main Street
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
(207) 288-3371