Lab shutdown during power failures

Fido-To: romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!cbl.umd.edu!mo

In a message of <28 Apr 94  13:21:45>, Linda Morin writes:

 >        My boss has asked me to put together procedures to be followed in
 >the event of a power failure. (We are at the end of our local
 >utility's service line and suffer frequent power failures during the
 >summer months.) Many of our laboratories use radioactive materials (H-3,
 >C-14, Na-22, P-32, S-35, Ca-45). I'm particulary concerned about losing
 >local ventilation (not many hoods are on the emergency generator) while
 >personnel are using isotopes.

Since these compounds are generally handled in non-volatile form, a general
power failure really isn't that big of a problem.  Of more concern is when
someone decides to do routine maintenance on the hood you are working with,
which can lead to a blow-back into the lab.

The best procedure is, as almost always, one of good housekeeping practices.
Don't store anything in the hood unless it is well secured and sealed.  Only have what is absolutetly necessary in the hood while you are working in it.  And, in many cases, don't work in the hood with non-volatile compounds.  A well-prepared lab bench will give you more room without creating any additional hazard.  And, if power does go off, stop everything possible and close the hood sash all the way down until power is restored.

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Health Physics Liberation Front  (1:233/13.2)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)