response to j. brandon

From: shand

On the subject of requesting an amendment for the kitchen
compactor - it was not my decision to terminate the use of
this device.  The satellite facility in question is located
120 miles away from the main campus and its waste facility.
Five years ago the compactor at our waste facility died from
old age and was not replaced in spite of our request and
figures that showed a new compactor would have paid for itself
in less than 1 year after purchase.  Five years ago the
administration was not interested in minimizing waste, saving
money, etc...  we are now purchasing a new compactor with
about 6-8 to 1 ratio, air handling system, hepa filter attached
the whole nine yards, it just takes a while (5 years !) for the
administration to realize the situation that will be at hand come
June 1994.  Talk about planning and administrative support ?

steve and college park