"Hot" Medical Waste in CA

     Help!
     The state of California has mandated (in a policy guidance memorandum
     dated 4-22-94), off-site medical waste treatment facilities to monitor
     medical waste and to set their monitoring devices at three times
     background. Our vendor has had to return our medical waste to us more
     than once already and twice the material was found to be Indium-111
     from diagnostic nuclear medicine procedures. The waste was found to
     enter the medical waste stream once from surgery and once from an
     intensive care unit. We currently have procedures for handling known
     radioactive medical waste generated in the nuclear medicine department
     and during radionuclide therapies performed on inpatients. Segregating
     known radioactive medical waste has been effective, but now the levels
     of detection are set so low that it seems that all of our medical
     waste must be monitored prior to removal from the facility because
     there is no surefire way to know who all the patients may be who could
     leave behind slightly contaminated radioactive waste so that the waste
     they create can be monitored efficiently. I am preparing a document
     outlining potential solutions to the problem which will require
     monitoring of medical waste prior to its leaving the facility. I am
     interested to hear from this audience if anyone has set up their own
     procedures for effectively monitoring and removing radioactive medical
     waste prior to its being removed from their facility. Some of the
     issues involved are the personnel(which department)who will perform
     the monitoring, where and when the monitoring will be performed,
     instrumentation and its maintenance, and the anticipated expenses that
     will be incurred due to the increased labor and instrumentation
     required.

     Thanks to any of you in advance for your time in responding to this
     plea for understanding how others in a similar boat may be dealing
     with this issue at their institutions.

     Mark How
     UCSF