Transportation on Campus

Bruce,

I believe that if you ship/transport your RAM waste as UN2912, LSA you do
not need to use a type A container, only a Strong Tight Container, which
can be just about anything that will ensure the material will not leak.
We use cardboard boxes, for example, for our dry waste.  There are
exposure limitations, so check out 49CFR 173.something (sorry I don't know
off the top of my head -- probably near 173.400) for the specifics.  Your
state may have a more stringent regulation, but it's worth looking into.
As far as I know, if you hand carry something it is not subject to DOT
regulations.  I'm not sure, but if anyone knows about this I'd appreciate
a note back.  Best of luck.

Max deLaubenfels
Radiation Safety
University of Washington, Seattle