Public Education

     Pat, your story about the "hot" firebrick, and the
attendant convocation, hit home with me.  I, and I'm sure
many others of you, have been involved in these civil
defense/police/fire/eyewitness news "radiation
emergencies."  The authorities' response and reaction to
the "crisis," is yet another great argument for VIGOROUS
public radiation education.
     Maybe these particular folks are beyond hope, with
hopelessly etched gray matter.  There IS hope, though,
for the young.  That's why efforts such as the North
Carolina HPS Chapter/ DOE Science Teacher Workshops
are so important.  Science ignorance is a real threat, but
it's a chain that can be broken.  Hey, a few of these fine
kids will go into journalism!    ;-)

-Tom

Thomas A. Schumacher
Radiation Safety Officer