Microsphere disposal

We have several research groups that use gamma-labeled microspheres
for blood flow studies in whole animals.  In Texas, we are able to
landfill certain isotopes with HL's less than 300 days, provided that
package concentration limits, radiation fields and annual totals meet
the requirments of the Texas Department of Health, Bureau of Radiation
Control (Texas is an agreement state).

Given the size of our pathological incenerator, the fact that Fort Worth
is in an EPA moderate non-compliance area for the Clean Air Act, and the
estimated cost to incinerate vs landfill, we have opted to landfill
the gamma-labeled microspheres.

We only purchase microsphers that are landfillable.

James Sims, Ph.D., Safety Officer, RSO
Safety Office
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth
3500 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, TX  76107 - 2699
jimsims@unt.edu
817-735-2697 (voice)