New NRC Reg Guide for patient release

Fido-To: dale boyce

Dale,

I reviewed the Proposed Rule (and R.G.) and note that the instructions
must be written (not documented, as I had earlier indicated).  You should
also note that the RG gives the user quite a bit of leeway on your
calculations, if you wish to use them.  For instance, the NRC assumes
(for isotopes with half-life > 1 day) the maximally exposed person is
at 1 meter for 25% of the decay time.  Also, biological 1/2 life is not
used in their calcs.  While this puts a documentation burden on the licensee
if you wish to use different assumptions, it is certainly doable.  Also
note that the release criteria is quite a bit lower for almost all other
commonly used isotopes.

NRC estimates 50,000/yr cases requiring instructions.  From a Health &
Safety standpoint, can one justify NOT requiring written instructions
for potentially exposing individuals to > 100 mrem in an uncontrolled
setting?

Wes Dunn
Token Revenuer

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Health Physics Liberation Front  (1:233/13.2)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)