regulation of uranyl acetate solutions

Do any other institutions maintain checks on the uranyl acetate solutions
used in elecrton microscopy?

Our friends at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE,
pronounced see-dippy....) have informed me that any solution greater than
0.05% uranium by weight should be included in our 15-pound source material
exclusion, but that those solutions should be counted in their entirety
(i.e. as if they were an equivalent mass of solid uranium...).

This is a change for them, and I wonder if the madness is local or global,
and what electron microscopists are doing about it?

Thanks for your help....

John

*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      *The Colorado College       *
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu*1125 Glen Avenue           *
*hazmat-owner@csn.org     *Colorado Springs, CO  80905*
*VOX: (719)389-6678       *FAX: (719)635-3177         *
    This advice is worth what you paid for it
            and is hereby disclaimed.