biohazards and radioactivity, continued

A while back we entered into the discussion of how to get radioactive waste out
of a BL level 3* containment facility.  Decay on site before disposal appears
to be the best solution, assuming they are using short-lived materials such as
P-32 or P-33. (Unfortunately, this will require an amendment to our current
license to allow storage for decay in a facility other than our own Regulated
Materials Management Center. In the meantime, while awaiting NRC approval, we
need another option. Everything that leaves the building must be sterilized or
autoclaved.

The liquid waste is no problem, in that it can be turned into a sodium
hypochlorite solution and the containers taken out through the showers. It's
the solid waste that is a problem.

Any suggestions?

Another wrinkle is how to get the dosimetry for P-32 use out. I know a film
badge won't survive any sort of treatment, but what about TLD's? The person I
talked to at Landauer said they shouldn't be liquid-treated and suggested
ethylene oxide gas. I would like to hear from anybody out there who has to
decontaminate whole-body or ring TLDs with potential biohazard contamination.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. This thing is turning into a real
headache.

Jim Herrold, RSO
University of Wyoming