RE: Alpha sources

>> And, on that subject, can someone out there suggest a good alpha soucre,
>>    that is durable (t1/2 > 140 days), that doesn't have attendannt
>> daughter  gammas, and may be considered an exempt quantity?
>
> Am-241 should suffice.  There are some low energy and very low yield Np
> x-rays.  Although I am sure there is some inane regulation against
> it, purchase a home smoke detector and remove the source (< 1
> micro-curie) or purchase a "button" source for a few $100.

There is.  In Colorado, the Am-241 in smoke detectors is exempt
unless/until it is removed from the case.

And americium has no exempt quantity under Part 3, Schedule B (Table of
exempt quantities) of the Colorado Rules, and this makes it no different
than the plutonium w/r/t the faculty and their desire to use it, and the
license issues thereunto pertaining.

Thanks, though.

Any other ideas?

> Best Regards
>
> L. Bobek
> WPI
> ------- Return-Path: <root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Date: Thu, 8 Sep 94 11:42:16 -0500
> Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From: Leo Bobek <bobek@wpi.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: RE: Alpha sources

John

*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      *The Colorado College       *
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu*1125 Glen Avenue           *
*hazmat-owner@csn.org     *Colorado Springs, CO  80905*
*VOX: (719)389-6678       *FAX: (719)635-3177         *
    This information is worth what you paid for it
            and is hereby disclaimed.