Re: Rad. induced heart attacks

>Fellow Netters:
>   I have been asked to document that radiation does or does not cause
>heart attacks.  The University experienced two deaths to heart attacks
>on two consecutive nights in a department here on campus.  Now everyone
>feels these deaths are related to working conditions.  The latest theory
>is that this department is located next to physics and since everyone
>knows that RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL is used here -- THE HEART ATTACKS WERE
>SOMEHOW INDUCED BY RADIATION!!
>   I have stated that an exposure low doses of radiation would not cause this
>type of specific biological effect.  Now I have been asked to show some
>type of documentation to that this is the case.  My question is:
>
>      Does anyone have any information on this topic?
>   or
>      Does anyone know where I could possible get this information?

Thousands of cGy are delivered to the hearts of cancer patients
every day in radiation oncology departments all over the world.
It is an unavoidable aspect of treating the mediastinal area.
I have never heard that this could induce a heart attack.  Of
course, the irradiation stops before it reaches dangerous levels,
but I doubt the heart attack victums had this amount of radiation.
Perhaps a radiation oncologist could direct you to some literature
on the effects of radiation on the heart.

Good luck.  I hope this incidents results in a decrease of
radiophobia in your area!

Carl Landis