Re: Firing Rad Safety Officers...

Someone should be very concerned about taking a RSO position
without knowing what they are getting into.  It is not
unheard of for the NRC of banning an individual from
participating in NRC licensed activities for an extended
period for being substantially responsible for a bad inspection.
The NRC inspects agreement state programs and can initiate
enforcement action.  I suggest you contact the NRC and
get on their mailing list for their Notices of Violation.
Maybe some of the fines that are issued will shake someone up.
The fines I've been seeing from these notices are around
a few thousand dollars lately for universities.  Sometimes
higher at medical facilities.  The dollar amounts may not
scare your administration, but talking to other places
about the work involved in creating a performance improvement
program may help.  Once you have your new professional RSO
don't forget to support him in his efforts.  It seems
unfortunately that it is possible for an RSO to lose his/her
job either for doing it, or not doing it. :(

Dale

I didn't say this if asked.