Benchmarks for Rad Safety Programs

Well, it is again budget building time at our institution and this year we
have been asked to include a comparison of our proposed budgets with
"benchmarks" derived from other universities on the cost of radiation
safety services per unit of effort (or benefit). For example, what is the
average national cost of checking in a radioactive package; what is the
average national cost of conducting a monthly area monitoring survey;
what is the average cost of authorizing a user; etc.

We have never done this before.  Have any of you?  What are useful
benchmarks?  Our budget people want more than just how many staff does a
campus have or what is a campus' annual budget.

I'd appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

John R. Krezoski, Ph.D., Director               Phone:  (414) 229-6339
Environmental Health, Safety & Risk Management  Fax:    (414) 229-6729
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee               e-mail: jrk@csd.uwm.edu
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
		(The above coments are exclusively mine)