RE: rad outreach programs

>oh, i'm also collecting video snipets from sci-fi (i use that term loosely)
>movies dealing with radiation and the effects on humans/other living things -
>any suggestions?  any advice on retrieving a copy of the 1950's version of
>radiation safety for the public would be just gosh golly swell!  this will
>complement my comic book card collection of super heros and villains that
>received their special talents from the effects of radiation...  i find this
>provides a reality check with the students and may actually encourage them to
>read about the topic...

	Some side suggestions:

	Can you get info/pictures on the old shoe checkers that checked your
	shoe fit by HIGH RATE fluro? (I remember seeing my feet and wiggling
	my toes, and wonder what it did to me. NO, brain dose was not high.)

	I know in the 50's radiation sterilization of food was all the rage.
	(The armed forces wanted to do it to get around having to refrigerate
	stuff.) I seem to remember some records here showing the half life
	of irradiated cheese... (and I thought jalapina chedder was hot cheese.)

	You might try telling them about current unusual sources of radiation.

	1/ Mt St Helens emitted something like 1000 times the radiation of
	   three mile island. I seem to remember an issue of National
	   Geographics that mentioned that.

	2/ The average cigarette smoker gets about 80 times normal background
	   dose to their lungs due to Polonium. (Again I seem remember that
	   as an article in National Geographics, but again I haven't gotten
	   around to searching them.)

	Hope this helps. If you could use more info, bounce me back.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist     ___       How many physicists does it take to
Michael Reese - U of Chicago   |___       change a light bulb? Only one.
Center for Radiation Therapy   | |_) _    According to Heisenberg, all you have
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu    | \|_)   to do is observe it, and you change
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-2517       |_)   it.