Re: rad outreach programs

Kathleen, the piece of television I'm about to describe to you is not from the
50's and does not directly show the effects of radiation, but I always found it
amusing and think you should all know about the contribution of health physics
to the scientific technology of the 23rd?/24th? century.  On one of the origi-
nal Star Trek episodes Mr. Spock has beamed down to a deserted outpost where
there are signs that the occupants suffered some sort of aberrant behavior
which led to their demise and the empty outpost.  Mr. Spock is directed to per-
form some sort of scan (I recall that it definitely was not a radiation scan),
at which he pulls out an honest-to-goodness cutie-pie and does his scan.  Per-
haps we might deduce by the choice of instrumentation that Mr. Spock suspected
some sort of radiation-induced effects on the former occupants.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University