Re: autopsy procedures

>Will someone give me a good answer to the following question?
>
>A patient dies 14 hours after intraperitoneal administation of 12 mCi
>of colloidal P-32.An autopsy is desired.Explain the procedures
>you would deem necessary for safe working conditions during the
>autopsy? What about burial of the body?

Instructions issued to the autopsy division at our institution include
the following:

1. Use two pairs of gloves, heavy rubber ones if feasible.
2. Use remote handling tools as far as possible.
3. If body fluids are not being collected, flush them down the drain with
large volumes of water.
4. First remove organs and tissues where most of the activity is fixed, and
save them in formalin for examination later.
5. If possible, have two or more teams of pathologists and morticians
working in tandem to cut down on individual exposures.

The above are in addition to the standard precautions associated with
radioactive materials in general.

Nothing specific about burial.  However, it should not be a problem if the
undertakers also have adequate information.

For more details, please send me e-mail at psr@po.cwru.edu.

P. S. Rao, RSO, Univ Hosp of Cleveland.