Re: Emergency Response Procedures

being more useful than having posters or booklets about emergency response:
Keep in mind, Randy, that I was talking about laboratory personnel (the people
who might spill something) rather than emergency responders (the people who
come after something has been spilled).  We have a few hundred laboratory wor-
kers with a fairly high rate of turnover; Idon't believe that we can practical-
ly conduct emergency response exercises for all those people.  Please note that
we do discuss emergency response in our initial radiation safety training
classes.  However, people going through the class aren't going to memorize the
emergency response numbers, and during an incident or emergency, they may be
flustered and forget some of the critical things they ought to do.  I think
that is the purpose of such a poster, and consequently I think a well thought
out poster or chart can be very valuable.

Sue Dupre/Princeton University