re:new license

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  11-Oct-1994 09:07am EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" )

   From:  Linda McDaniel                             Dept:  Environmental Health and Safety
          MCDANIEL                                 Tel No:  593-1666

Subject:  re:new license

    We used to wipe-test PuBe sources quarterly.  Last time the NRC was
    here (March 1993) the inspector suggested I wipe-test them twice/yr to
    keep exposures down.  (four 1Ci sources and 0ne 5Ci source)  He stated
    that altho Pu is an alpha emitter, the source was not "designed to
    emit" alphas.  It was designed to emit neutrons.  That makes good sense
    to me.  Hope this example helps.

    Linda McDaniel
    Ohio University
    Athens, OH