PCs and Tritium

Greetings from sunny California.

We are currently investigating the ability of our Tennelec (now Oxford)
LB 5100 proportional counter to detect tritium. The purpose is to
demonstrate compliance with the external contamination limits in 49 CFR
173.443(a) for our out going tritium shipments. We don't ship tritium
very often (2 to 5 times a month) so justifying a LSC purchase is
difficult. Do any of you have experience with this? We know the PC sees
something when H-3 on a wipe is introduced into the chamber (with
window), but have no idea as to the efficiency. We are working with
Oxford, but REAL WORLD experience is always helpful. Any insights?

Thanks in advance.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/106      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer        Internet: Don@LMSC.Lockheed.com
Lockheed Missiles & Space Co., Inc.         Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611