Shoe store fluoro units -- Summary

> >Until some time in the 1950's many shoe stores in the US has
> >fluoroscope units that allowed a customer to check the fit of their
> >shoes.
> >
> >Someone must have done dosimetry on these units, but I cannot find any
> >references.
>
> I second John's interest.  I remember as a kid standing on the floor
> units with my feet stuck into two holes and looking down thru the
> screen.  It really kept the kids busy while mom perused the newest
> styles.  Have always wondered about the dosimetry (both to the feet and
> from the screen - don't think they had image intensifies then).

Yes, I remember them also -- we're dating ourselves (:

Here's what I have do far:

About 10,000 such units in use in the US in 1953

50 kV, 3-8 mA, 1 mmAl-Filter with a resulting dose
rate to feet of 0.5-5.8 R/s (typical exposure times of 5-45 s).

Dose to the foot was 7 to 14 R (from context I assume this is entrance dose)

Dose to pelvis said to be 30-170 mR

Condemned by the AMA in 1949

Outlawed in the US by the _states_ in the early 1970's

Last known discovery of an operational unit in the US was 1978

Thanks all for help

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)
Radiation Biology Group
Medical College of Wisconsin