No Subject

I am interested in how the various departments of the many universities
represented here deal with regulatory compliance and safety.  Here at UCSD
we have an excellent EH and S department which provides a complete
framework for rad safety and regulatory compliance. Each of the various
departments with radiation users (Chem, Bio, Med School) is then
responsible for the "nuts and bolts" of compliance itself.  In a department
with almost 80 labs organizing that compliance could be a full time job.
Other departments on campus devote .5 to 1.5 FTE's to overall safety and
compliance.  Is this comparable to other institutions?

In more general terms I am interested in the interface between EH and S and
the departments they supervise.  What services does EH and S provide and
what services do the departments provide for themselves.  How much, in
terms of person/hours or $ do various departments have to spend on safety
and compliance.  I will be using this information to evaluate our current
efforts and to plan for the future.  Thanks in advance for your help,

Jim

Jim Kapin, Safety Coordinator, UCSD Biology Dept.
jkapin@ucsd.edu, (619) 534-0562, fax (619) 534-7314