Re: rad reading magnetic drum

>>I was asked to post this question to the board by a friend. A rotating
>>magnetic
>>storage drum in a G.E. PAC 4000 process computer system was reading 2 mR/h
>>on contact. This machine is from the 1950's or 60's. It is about 2 feet in
>>diameter and 18" deep. It was an early hard drive I believe. Any one have
>>an idea as to what is causing the rad level?

Geeee - I remember seeing such a beast once in operation!!

Anyhow - when we find things like this it usually turns out to be alpha
activity from a ceramic substrate.  You didn't say the kind of instrument
used to measure the radiations.

If NOT alpha - my next guess would be activiation - but that is unlikely -
I'd run a chunk through an analyzer!

Do let us know what you finally determine.