Rad Reading Memory

1.  Assuming the device is not in operation, hence no magnetic
fields to confuse detectors, there is a possibility that it is an
internal static eliminator.  The last time we ran over this on
RADSAFE it turned out to be a radium source, quite likely if the
50s/60s were the original fabrication period, and not the polonium
sources usually used today.  I have a vague recollection of the
use of deionizers for magnetic storage media, but don't recall
any specific references.

2.  High volume air cleaners with radium sources of high enough
intensity to deionize occassionally ruptured, leading to the
deposition of radium in food stuffs (bottles, packages, etc.)
leading to interesting internal dosimetry problems on a large scale.
I believe the NRC frowns on such things these days, though.
The opions expressed above are those of the author alone and do not
not represent those of the Stanford University or the US Department
of Energy.