Cm-244/C-13 Source -Reply

Date:  11/30/1994  01:45 pm  (Wednesday)
From:  Paul Frame
To:  D1.OUT("radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu"), D2.PO3(BOERNERA,
     SIMPSOND, THOMASE), D1.OUT("paterpd@ucssun1.sdsu.edu")
Subject:  Cm-244/C-13 Source -Reply

The curium would be used as an alpha emitter.
The C-13 absorbs the alpha and spits out a neutron. The product, O-16
is left in an excited state, 6.130 MeV above ground. It deexcites and
gives off a gamma at that energy. As I read it (in Knoll by the way)
it takes a substantial amount of activity on the part of the alpha
emitter to produce a worthwhile source. I'm guessing but the curium
might be used because of its relatively high specific activity.

Paul Frame
Oak Ridge Assoc. Universities